Pages

Tuesday 16 September 2014

No I didn't breastfeed!

This is a post I have been wanting to write for a while, and it seems more fitting to write it here, rather than on my other blog.
I DID NOT BREAST FEED ANY OF MY FOUR CHILDREN!

There! Said it! Got it out!

I read every day how breast is best (which, I am sure, it is), and how, above anything else, you MUST breastfeed your baby.
Well, I didn't.
Not one of them.
And I am going to, at last, make no apologies for it!

I had an emergency caesarian section with my eldest, and was put to sleep for it. It was very panicked and very scary.
I came round from the procedure feeling very disorientated, very confused, I couldn't actually work out for a few minutes whether I had had the baby or not!
Then, my beautiful baby girl was thrust onto my breast, the midwife telling me that she was hungry and needed feeding. And OMG it HURT like crazy! REALLY hurt. It was unpleasant, painful, awful.
I cried and cried. I tried again. It hurt. Like crazy. It HURT. I cried and cried.

Later that day, amongst disapproving tuts and glances from the various midwives and nurses who were in and out of my room, I made the decision to give my baby a bottle.

Following the overwhelming feeling of failure of not being able to give birth naturally, was now the horrible feeling that I couldn't feed her either.

The best support I had, was from a male midwife! He sat with me, listened to me, let me cry, he didn't tut, or judge or chastise me. He simply said, I have to do what feels right for me. If I breastfed and hated it, I would become stressed, which would affect my milk flow, and my baby would pick up on that too. It would be far from a positive experience.

I chose to bottle feed.
I made that decision, as the best one for me and my daughter.
And it was the best decision. I could see, at every feed, exactly what she had drunk, I could, before too long, plan her feeds, and let my then husband, and my mum feed her too. 
I used to watch my then sister-in-law having her son (three days older than my daughter) constantly 'on the boob.' Never knowing how much milk he had had, at every squeak he made, thrusting a boob into his mouth, assuming he was hungry.

Now, please don't get me wrong, breast feeding is wonderful, a beautiful thing, very special, an amazing time.

But not for everyone.

I chose to bottle feed my other three from birth, MY CHOICE! I didn't have any problem with it at all, but others did.

As much as breast feeding in public receives (sadly) mixed views, so does bottle feeding!

I was constantly frowned upon - especially when my babies were newborn, and during their first months of life.
Disapproving looks and comments and even questions as to why I wasn't feeding? Surely I was missing out - as was my baby? 

I did feel more guilty with my last baby, who is now almost two. I cried and cried with guilt at not feeding him, especially when I felt my milk coming in. My midwife was actually very understanding, and talked it through with me. As a virtual single parent, with a very busy household and three other children, I knew in my heart that, again, bottle feeding was the right choice for us. My midwife agreed.

I LIKED seeing exactly what he had drunk.
I LIKED my other children being able to feed him, easily, and have that wonderful experience with him.

All my children have slept through the night from 12 weeks old. I have had at least 8 hours sleep a night, every night with all of them (except for things like illness.) I needed that! 
All my children are bright, healthy, well developed beings.

The main thing I want to say though, is that EVERY mother has the right to feed her baby however she wants! Breast or bottle, it is up to the mum! NO ONE has the right to judge, comment, or make that mum feel awful.


Zena's Suitcase


Binky Linky

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post.
    I understand the judging stares, from nurses and midwives, and from everyone around you. I tried to breastfeed my two children, and each time I felt like I failed. Each time, I was treated like I failed and sometimes like a bad mom.
    Since I was a kid, I have had to take daily medication which actually affected my milk flow drastically. I couldn't even get an ounce out total per day, it was so bad. I made the decision to solely bottle feed because it was either starve my babies or feed them what they desperately needed. I cried continuously about it (it still makes me cry). I got support from my husband, but every woman I know made me feel bad, it just cuts you to the core.
    Not one of those women with disapproving glares can see that my children have flourished even without breast milk. They are bright, carefree, and honest individuals that I love with all my heart. Though those nasty comments, and dirty glares hurt, I would do it again just to see my children smile brightly at me.
    Not one person should judge. Instead we should all be supporting each other as we all have our own battles.

    Angie x
    www.chocolateandlipstick.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a brave and honest post, I think you are absolutely right, it is up to mummy to decide what is best for her babies and if that is bottle feeding or breastfeeding then that's what is best for the baby, mummy, and whole family. You have to chose what works best for your situation, which it sounds like you absolutely did.
    I found breastfeeding really difficult in the early days, and I have no idea how I would have done it if I had twins or other, older children. We are lucky in that we have two very good options for feeding our babies, and no one should be made to feel guilty because they chose one or the other.
    A happy mummy is a happy baby... isn't that how the saying goes!
    In my option people are too busy judging others, when quite frankly it's no-one else's business how a mummy decides to feed her baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whilst on a personal level, I am very passionate about breastfeeding, I completely agree with you that it is your choice how you feed your baby and you shouldn't be judged for it. We are all mums, we are all trying to do the best for our babies and that is what matters. My eldest daughter was partly bottle-fed as she wasn't able to thrive on my milk alone and there was part of me that felt I had failed slightly even though formula was the right decision for us at the time. Whilst I think that breastfeeding support is very important, if a mum doesn't want to breastfeed, her choice should definitely be respected and supported x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are absolutely right! You should not have been frowned upon or chastised by anyone. Especially midwives!! You went through a major surgery, had crazy hormones, and a new baby. That is a lot of stress in itself. I am a breastfeeder and it was my choice. I feel fortunate I had plenty of support, but I know my family would have supported me if I chose to bottle feed. Mama knows whats best for her and baby. And a stressed out mama is practically useless! Thank you for such an honest post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really wanted to breastfeed my twins, but after trying so hard to it just wasn't to be for us. They were born premature and weighed 2lb11 and 4lb3. They were too small, too weak and after trying my best I decided to bottle feed. I expressed every three hours day and night whilst they were in special care so they had my breastmilk, just from a bottle instead of from me directly. One consultant who made it very clear to me that she had breastfed all of her children, turned her nose up at me for this decision, but even after explaining to her they were still getting my milk she still was a snooty mare! Breast is best for some and not for others. As long as your baby is fed and thrives does it matter? We resorted to formula a little while after they came out of hospital as expressing every three hours whilst looking after twins is so tiring! Thanks for this post and for linking up to the #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally agree its everyone's own choice nobody should be forced in either direction. Such a nice and honest post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said. So often people make quick judgements without knowing anything about the mother or her life. I part-breast fed and part bottle fed my daughter after she was born prematurely. The comments i received from some people made me feel terrible. But they had no idea what life was like for me. You must do what is right for your circumstances. #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely to read your post and your honest thoughts, I agree that people spent too much time judging others and worrying about what others think, we each have to do what is right for us, our baby and our family. #binkylinky (lovinglifewihlittleones)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your one brave lady putting this out there! No one should be judged for how they feed their child. It should be a given that however a mother chooses to feed a baby, she has made the best choice for all concerned. It sounds like it was the right thing for you to do, and you shouldn't feel like you have to justify yourself at all. Thanks so much for sharing this with #BFingDiaries

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent post and very well said. Whether it not to breastfeed is a decision entirely down to an individual. You have to do what is right for you, your baby and your family. I combi-fed Potato because I didn't have enough milk myself. I was lucky to have a helpful and supportive midwife and HV team. But I know so many mums who have been made to feel awful for chosing to bottlefeed instead, for whatever reason. Really, we should just be thankful we live in a time and a place where that decision is open to us and that there are good alternatives available.
    Thanks for linking up with #BinkyLinky

    ReplyDelete